In Universal Type Server, all the fonts in the organization are consolidated into a single, secure location on a server. Fonts are managed as follows:
• The administrator subdivides the fonts into workgroups intended for specific types of users or projects
• The administrator decides which workgroups you need to access.
• You access workgroups, and the fonts within them, through the Universal Type Client application.
• Your user permissions control what you can do with fonts within each workgroup, including whether you can add fonts, share sets, change a font’s class, and more.
• Some users are font administrators, giving them more power over fonts.
The Universal Type Server Daily Workflow
If you’ve been using another font manager, your workflow stays relatively the same —– open the font manager, find the fonts you want to use, and activate them. The benefit of Universal Type Server is that everyone you work with has access to the same fonts at the same time. Take a look at the typical use of Universal Type Server:
• Launch the Universal Type Client
• Open the appropriate workgroup (in many cases, you will belong to only one workgroup)
• Use the Universal Type Client to sort and preview fonts
• Customize font keywords, classes, foundries, and more*
• Create sets of fonts for specific projects or clients
• Add new fonts you purchased or received with jobs*
• Activate any fonts you want to use
• Use the fonts in any application in any document
• Collect fonts for output* Universal Type Server can also activate fonts automatically when you open documents in supported applications.
*You need permission to perform these activities.
Download pdf Universal Type Client User Guide